Thread Contributor: AlbusPowerShell is officially open-sourced
For those unfamiliar with PowerShell, here's some information on it from Wikipedia.

Quote:Windows PowerShell is a task automation and configuration management framework from Microsoft, consisting of a command-line shell and associated scripting language built on the .NET Framework. PowerShell provides full access to COM and WMI, enabling administrators to perform administrative tasks on both local and remote Windows systems as well as WS-Management and CIM enabling management of remote Linux systems and network devices. Initially a Windows component only, PowerShell was made open-source on 18 August 2016.

In PowerShell, administrative tasks are generally performed by cmdlets (pronounced command-lets), which are specialized .NET classes implementing a particular operation. Sets of cmdlets may be combined intoscriptsexecutables (which are standalone applications), or by instantiating regular .NET classes (or WMI/COM Objects). These work by accessing data in different data stores, like the file system orregistry, which are made available to the PowerShell runtime via Windows PowerShell providers.

The result of PowerShell being open-sourced is that we'll soon be able to efficiently manage Linux boxes in mixed environments with greater ease. It also means that those who were previously Windows-only admins may find themselves more likely to implement a Linux box to their environment due to the ability to use the management utilities they're already used to.

Some are citing this is proof of Microsoft being friendly to the open-source and Linux communities while others are touting as Microsoft serving their own interests of getting linux admins friendlier with the Microsoft ecosystem.

Thoughts?
Microsoft make a lot of cash through support of GNU+Linux systems. I would say its them doing their best to not end up getting replaced. Linux is easier than ever before and bash is just so powerful. I have seen and heard of a lot of companys swapping to GNU+Linux solutions over windows. I myself use Linux almost 100% of the time now its just much more convenient. "Oh i need some software to do something"

Code:
pacaur -S <name>

9 times out of 10 i'm good. Doing this means that people nolonger have to pick between windows and GNU+Linux but rather use both. Windows where they feel it works better. I have been trying to get the linux version of Active Directory working myself and want to take a sec to say a word to Linux people who are working on this "PLEASE MAKE IT EASIER OMFG" *Cough*. Other than my massive pain with Active Directory alternative software has been plug and play and its not going to be too much longer till people realize that Linux is really overtaking windows in massive strides. I think this is both Microsoft making Linux admins more friendly to Linux users as well as finally working with alternative platforms before they just get kicked away as people want software that just works with other software.