Keepass - secure password management software
Color codes:
  • Yellow = name
  • Yellow bold = link
  • Orange bold = bold text or comment/note
  • Blue = path
  • Green = edit
  • Purple = file extension
KeePass is a password management software. Its aim is to easily and securely store all of your passwords in one place. Some of its features include:
And much more (full list of features). If you are interested, you can see how they have handled the security here

I have used KeePass for over a year and I have got to say I'm satisfied. It is easy to use, it is very secure, it is portable (big plus for me) and it is very easy to migrate your database over to another PC/OS/platform. I use it on both Windows and Linux and I have had no problems so far. Although not that hard, I will show you how to install and use KeePass below (using Arch Linux).

Since I am using Arch Linux, the first place I will be looking will be the AUR (Arch User Repository). Searching for KeePass yields the following results:

[Image: jngEBbl.png]

We will be using the one that is marked with the red arrow.

NOTE: This is an alternative version of KeePass, but it has mostly the same features. There are cosmetic differences, but none that are huge. It does not only supports the KeePass 2.x (.kbdx) database format and not 1.x. The installation process is the exact same as if you were to install the vanilla version (click on "Download From Mirror" - it is on the right side) of KeePass. That is assuming of course that you download through a package helper such as yaourt. If you download the vanilla version without the use of a package helper then all you have to do is double-click on the .pkg.tar.xz file and your package manager should open it up and install automatically (after you have entered your password of course). The reason I am using KeePassX for this tutorial instead of vanilla KeyPass is simply because new users might be more comfortable in KeyPassX and so I thought it would not hurt to use it instead of vanilla KeyPass. However, I strongly urge that KeyPassX users switch to the vanilla version after learning how to use KeyPassX. As I mentioned before, the cosmetics are different, but not different enough to require a complete re-learning of the ins and outs of the vanilla version.

Clicking on the link redirects us to the page of the package. We see the following:

[Image: Joy9q21.png]

Notice the part that is marked with red. That is the name of the package base. You need that when installing packages from AUR.

I will be using yaourt to install the package. You can also use cower for this purpose (be aware that by using cower, you will have to build the package yourself!). 

If you are using cower, enter the following command in the terminal:

Code:
cower -d keepassx-git

And if you are using yaourt, enter the following:

Code:
yaourt -S keepassx-git

NOTE: It is important to check if you have all the necessary dependencies that keepassx-git requires. If you do not have the necessary dependencies installed some of the functions might not work.  

After you have successfully downloaded and installed the package (and maybe its dependencies), it is time to open it up and create a database for your passwords.  The first thing you will see when opening KeePass for the first time is just the menu. You will not see some sort of setup wizard or anything like that. Only the following screen:

[Image: FgzrDea.png]

In order to begin using KeePass, you will have to create a database. You can do so by clicking on Database -> New Database. The following screen will appear:

[Image: PEbZE2b.png]

Here you can set your master key (your master password) and create a key. The key KeePass creates is a file which contains information necessary to open the database and as such acts like a "real key" where the database is your door and the key file is the key used to open it. For the purpose of this tutorial (and because extra security never hurt anyone), we are going to create a key that will accompany our master key. Create your master key, tick the "Key file" checkbox, click on "Create", choose a location for the key and finally click on "OK". Here is an example:

[Image: oTerIlM.png]

NOTE: The Windows version of KeyPass allows you to also set a Windows user account as an extra layer of security. There is no Linux/OS X equivalent.

Now you will see the following:

[Image: 9U7WSFM.png]

Notice the folder with the name "Root"? That is your main group. You can edit this group by right-clicking -> Edit Group. You can also create a new group by right-clicking -> Add  New Group. Let us just keep the main group intact for now and focus on creating a new entry (i.e. storing a new password in our database). You can create a new entry by clicking on Entry -> Add new entry or by right-clicking -> Add new entry. You will see the following screen:

[Image: qjSgiGq.png]

NOTE: The layout is different than on the vanilla version of KeePass, but the features are mostly the same. It should not be hard to figure out how to add an entry as it's not a huge or advanced cosmetic change.

As you can see, there are many options and things to fill out. As most of them are quite self-explanatory, I will not be going deeper into the details. However, I will show you an example of an entry:

[Image: tER6pO0.png]

After clicking on "OK", it will show up like this:

[Image: F40cXiB.png]

These are the basic features of KeePass. I will not be going any further into the details of KeePass as it would takes hours. I suggest that you instead tinkle and snoop around KeePass for a while and learn its ins and outs as you, in my opinion, will not regret doing so.

Next time you open KeePass, you will see a screen asking for a master key and a key file (assuming you did not change the location of the database, otherwise it will just show up as blank!). You will need to enter the master key that you created before and locate the key file that you also created before. It should look something like this:

[Image: EJ3j5X7.png]

Enjoy KeePass.

14/07/16 - 14:53: Added a new note.
14/07/16 - 14:58: Small corrections.
14/07/16 - 16:15: Thread formatting.
Use it every five minutes. I've found KeePassX to be the best Mac port of the program.
Awesome, thank you for the detailed and easy-to-understand post.
I may check this out soon for when I need to keep my passwords safe and secure!